Battle of the Bands finds its winner

‘Schmitty’s Backyard Project’ have won BAGSoc’s Battle of the Bands after beating off tough competition.

Schmitty’s Backyard Project win Leicester’s Battle of the Bands.

On Tuesday evening the Leicester University’s Band and Gig Society (BAGSoc) held the Battle of the Bands where 5 groups, all made up of current and former Leicester students played 30 minute sets.

Banned Frequency, The Exhausted, Needle in the Hay, Schmitty’s Backyard Project and Six Broken Sticks all performed in front of a sell out crowd at Firebug, one of Leicester’s most popular bars.

Schmitty’s Backyard Project

Calum Burns, the event organiser, told The Tab: “there are so many benefits to hosting an event like this, but it’s mainly about the performers themselves, its great fun and can boost confidence.”

He said: “a lot of people find them entertaining, and that’s basically what a lot of bands want to do – entertain people by doing something they love.”

Schmitty’s Backyard Project won £200 that they can use to help get their band off its feet. Burns said “obviously prize money can really help get a band going, by getting them some decent recording time or equipment or whatever which could help with exposure”.

Sold out: Firebug

Schmitty’s Backyard Project, who only formed two weeks ago, electrified the crowd with a varied set finishing on a surprise beatbox performance which sealed them the win. One member of the audience described the beatbox solo finish as “a stroke of genius, the best part of the night by far”.

Battle of the Band winners, Schmitty’s Backyard Project

The winning band’s keyboardist, Will Schwier, said “we’re ecstatic to have been named champions and to win against the odds, having formed as a band not that long ago we didn’t expect to win against bands who have been touring around the country.”

When asked what the band will do with their cash prize Schwier said: “we’ll probably put the money towards a day recording our music but we’re just happy to have won and to have got our name out there, we’re looking forward to playing at LUMA’s concert and returning next year”.

Last year’s reigning champions Steady State also performed a headline set on the night.

The winners will get to perform at LUMA’s Annual Concert on the 15th of March. Runners up Six Broken Sticks will play at ‘Love Music Hate Homophobia’ this Saturday, March 8th.