University’s Vice-Chancellor Shortlisted for Inspiring Leader Award 2014

Sir Robert Burgess selected for the Inspiring Leader Award.

University of Leicester Vice-Chancellor Robert Burgess has been selected by The Guardian for the Inspiring Leader Award.

On January 14th it was announced that the University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Robert Burgess, was chosen as one of Britain’s inspirational leaders in higher education. The winner will be announced February 26th in London.

The University may have the chance of bringing home two awards, as it has also been shortlisted for another award in its excellence of media and communications work concerning the discovery of King Richard III.

The award recognises inspirational leadership in the UK’s higher education sector. Professor Burgess has steered the University to many successes in the recent past. Under Burgess the Leicester has risen in the national league tables, won University of the Year, won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for the third time and been the Sunday Times University of the Year runner up.

To top it all off, the University has also reached its highest ever ranking in the Times Higher Education World University guide under the guidance of the Vice-Chancellor.

Needless to say, the award would be a sweet send off for Professor Burgess as his 15 year stewardship will end in 2014, as he retires at the end of September.