How to: do Christmas student style

The expense of Christmas can put some students off celebrating but it’s just a bit of fun really. Get your friends round and take a look at what’s possible if you all chip in together.

It’s the 2nd of December and that can only mean one thing… IT’S CHRISTMAS! Celebrating Christmas on a student budget can be difficult, but if you follow The Tab’s Top Tips your Christmas will be more merry than Santa after one too many sherry’s.

Chin Chin

Deck the Halls

When it comes to decorating student style, think pure tack. Think Santa’s grotto. Think tinsel explosion! Bring back that old tree that’s been sitting in the loft for years at home and give it a new lease of life.

A rummage round Poundland may also be required to transform dingy student living into a winter wonderland. Listening to The Pogues Fairytale of New York and going overboard with the decorating is a sure fire way to bring out your festive spirit.

Christmas Jumpers

Once preserved for the likes of uncles and grandparents, Christmas jumpers are now the perfect way to feel festive and stay warm in student accommodation.

When it comes to this cosy knitwear, the cheesier the better!  It may not be the most flattering item in your wardrobe, but as long as it’s snug and tacky, and you’ve got your housemates to join in, you can’t go wrong!

Matching jumpers…how cute!

Eat!

Whilst many of the pubs and restaurants have a Christmas menu on at this time of year, it’s definitely more fun (and entertaining) to attempt your own. And let’s face it, it’s not such a joyful time of year for our bank accounts. Splitting the bill between housemates means you’ll save loads.

Go big or don’t bother…

If you haven’t got a clue where to start, there are hundreds of videos on YouTube to help.  It may not be your Nan’s home cooking, but conjuring up your own meal, even if failed, is going to be the highlight of your student Christmas.

Be Merry

The days of cider in the sun are long gone, but this means only one thing: a festive tipple is definitely in order.  When the mid-week blues hit, mulled wine is a foolproof way to warm your cockles. If you’re planning a party, themed drinking games are mandatory!

Games are good…just don’t play Monopoly (it always ends badly!)

Get everyone to sit in a circle and play the Twelve Days of Christmas game. Each person has to recite a line and the first to get it wrong has to take a shot. Needless to say, no one will leave sober, but let’s face it, you’re going to end up trollied at some point- it’s Christmas!