Leicester Uni’s Ultimate Sport 1: Hockey

The Tab asks, once and for all, just what is the Ultimate Leicester University Sport?

Sport pride appears to have hit an all-time high at Leicester University after last week’s attack on American imports. The Tab decided to settle this once and for all and ask, just what is the “Ultimate University Sport”? First up: Hockey.

Played at the University of Leicester since 1975 . ULHC boast Women’s, Men’s and Mixed teams and over 175 members. Never unrepresented at Red Leicester for as long as anyone can remember, ULHC claim to be able to play Hockey just as good as they can down VK’s. Earning the University impressive varsity triumphs in both Women’s (11-1) and Men’s (6-0), Mixed losing by only two goals in extra time, it’s easy to see where their confidence comes from.

Post 11-1 DMU obliteration.

“I was forced to play at school and actually hated it; I seem to remember ecstatically throwing my stick in a bush in year 10 when I was told I never had to play again. Then in sixth form I found my way into goalkeeper and have been loving hockey for the last 4 years!” Georga Reed, ULHC Club Chairwoman, tells us.

But what makes Hockey different from the rest? “Wednesdays. There is nothing better than running out of lectures to play a match (hopefully win), cobble together some form of fancy dress, and then join the rest of the club in ‘Hockey Corner’ to celebrate in the appropriate fashion! It’s something I’m really going to miss when I leave.” For those unaware, Hockey corner is the infamous part of the 02 where the club can be found every Wednesday, in various states.

Women’s Hockey in their natural habitat, Hockey Corner.

So Varsity wins, amazing socials and their own part of the O2, surely it can’t all be good? “I’d say the worst part is finding sand from the astro in odd places, the stuff really gets everywhere… Also, some people say that it’s a private school sport for rich kids only, which is simply not true”

Men’s firsts celebrate Varsity win.

As a club that puts in persistent hard work and delivers results, what sports do they think don’t really make the grade? “Despite absolutely loving Harry Potter, I don’t think Quidditch can call itself a sport, to me sticks are for hitting balls, not putting between your legs.”

Mixed on tour: doing what Hockey do best.

Infamous as it is successful; does Hockey really deserve to be the Ultimate University Sport? “I think Hockey is the Ultimate Uni Sport as we’re one of the largest clubs that has both men’s, women’s and mixed teams, delivers good results at every skill level and totally dominates a corner of the Union every single Wednesday.”

They weren’t drunk (yet).

Socials: 5/5 – This club once got so drunk wearing tutu’s the bouncers refused entry to anyone wearing one. But they snuck in anyway.

Results: 3/5 – All teams deliver persistently good results, pulling in high league places for the recent season, while mixed finished runner up in the Junior Cup.

Reputation: 3/5 – You’ve probably heard at least one story about the Hockey club, some people switching more than just Hockey teams, that’s all I’m saying.