Lancaster UCU announces new strike dates this term

The strike action will take place from Wednesday 23rd to Friday 25th of March

A new round of staff strike action was announced by the university via email this afternoon.

The strikes will be affecting staff affiliated with the University and Colleges Union, occurring between Wednesday 23rd and Friday 25th of March, and also on Monday the 28th and Tuesday the 29th.

The email explains that “as part of a national dispute, the UCU at Lancaster University will organise three days of strike action this term and two days during the Easter vacation period.”

As in previous rounds of strike action, the email explains that staff who are not affiliated with the UCU may choose to strike in solidarity and so the “impact of the strike is likely to vary in different parts of the University”. Emailing staff members to ask if they will be striking is the quickest way to find out their stance.

The strike action follows two UCU ballots last November which supported disruptions in response to poor pay, insufficient working conditions and pension insecurity. More ballots are scheduled soon which may result in further strike action throughout the year.

The email concluded by saying: “Lancaster University remains committed to negotiations and playing a positive role in ending this national dispute.”

More information on the strikes from the University can be found on the Student Portal, and you can find out more from the UCU on their website.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Lancaster UCU to take part in third round of strikes this academic year 

‘We need to escalate action’: UniversitiesUK reject UCU proposals

‘Striking is very painful’: We asked Lancs Uni lecturers why they’re striking