Vote for Lancaster’s longest lingerer 2022: Heat one

It’s time to have your say x

The nominations are in for Lancaster’s longest lingerer and it’s now time for the first heat in the competition! Here’s we have the chance to hear what the nominees have to say and, once you’ve considered each of their pleas for the title you can finally cast your vote. Make sure to have your say in the poll at the end of this article!

Each of the nominees has been told why the loyal readers of the Lancaster Tab felt that they had been hanging around Alex Square for far too long. They now have the opportunity to defend their honour as a young and spritely Lancs student or prove themselves to be the closeted millennial hiding amongst a crowd of Gen-Zs.

Kim Hudspeth

Reasons for nomination:

1. She’s been at Lancaster for eight years
  2. She’s had to suffer the pain of living in halls for six years
  3. Her nomination might inspire her to finish her PhD

Kim believes she’s Lancaster’s longest lingerer because she just can’t bring herself to graduate and give up playing uni sports. Although she does admit that her nomination for this award might just give her the push she needs to finish her PhD, for which she admits she is “very short on inspiration right now.”

Summarising her time at Lancaster, she said: “In my eight years I’ve met the most incredible people and had so so much fun playing lacrosse, water polo, darts, pool and netball, it’s been my favourite part of my university experience by a mile!”

With regards to living in halls, Kim said: “Whilst it might be a nightmare getting home from a night out, it is a lazy person’s dream to be 10 minutes from everywhere you need to be at any given moment – halls are highly underrated!”

Overall, Kim has had a brilliant eight years and “wouldn’t change any of it (except maybe the pandemic).”

Archie Maheswaran

Reasons for nomination:

1. He is completing his second master’s degree
  2. Who does a second master’s right after the first?
  3. See the above reasons

Archie defended his decision to complete two master’s degrees, explaining that he first completed an integrated master’s in Mechatronic Engineering.

However, Archie’s final year inspired him to stay in Lancaster even longer, he said: “In my final year I was elected team leader/project manager of the Formula Student team. This experience taught me so much about people, projects and communication that I wanted to take it a step further and develop my project management skills. Hence my enrollment in MSc Engineering Project Management.”

Although it seems the true reason Archie has stuck around so long is “to play American football with only the best bunch of lads in the world.”

Adina Stanson

Reasons for nomination:

1. She decided to do a master’s in Lancaster three months before the term began
  2. She’s everyone’s go-to person for tips and tricks on how to get by in Lancs
  3. She’s used the excuse “it’s my last year thooo” two years in a row

In response to her nomination, Adina explained that she decided to stay in Lancaster after her undergrad because she “found a true balance in Lancaster and really got to call this place my second home.”

She said: “I consider the facilities and possibilities Lancaster provides superior from many other UK universities that I’ve visited/heard of. For example, how clean the library always is, how the university is constantly expanding or renovating(providing new areas), how many activities are always happening on and out of campus, thus keeping life here interesting.”

Adina also defended the city’s small size, she said: “Personally, I’ve loved finding the hidden gems around the town and consider the size of town to not be a problem at all! If anything, it makes it all the easier to get from point A to point B.”

Adina also mentioned the great food in Lancaster, its close proximity to Manchester and other big cities and, that belonging to Lonsdale college gave her a sense of “family away from family”.

Vote below for you think is Lancaster’s longest lingerer and, ultimately, most deserving of a spot in the semi-final:

Related articles recommended by this writer

‘It’d be interesting to start my dating journey on TV’: Lancs students star in Squad Dates

The results are in: Sultans is officially the best place to eat on campus

We came up with 40 Lancs related never have I ever questions