A sunset over Alexandra Square

Lancaster University take a step to net zero with new solar and heat pump projects

Lancaster University have announced two new projects which include a solar PV farm and a low carbon energy centre

Lancaster University have announced a collaboration with Vital Energi on two projects to help achieve net zero goals.

The new projects include a new solar PV farm and a low carbon energy centre.

These projects are funded by the government’s Green Heat Network Fund as well as the university investing £57 million to decarbonize the campus.

With an investment of £17 million, the solar PV farm will consist of more than 17,000 photovoltaic (PV) cell panels and generate enough energy to supply 2,800 houses. The solar PV farm will also double as a research facility for plant science to control system engineering. As well as this, there will be a landscaping scheme to help support the local wildlife and increase biodiversity.

The low carbon energy centre, with an investment of £21 million from the Government’s Green Heat Network Fund, will begin construction in Autumn 2024. The funding will be matched by the university to construct a £40 million facility on the Bailrigg campus which will eliminate the use of gas to heat it. The facility will use heat pump technology which will heat 95 per cent of the buildings on campus.

Lancaster has also been awarded £530,387 from the Lancaster Campus District Heat Network from the Heart Network Efficiency Scheme (HNES) to help upgrade the infrastructure. This funding is essential for the aim to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2030.

Professor Simon Guy, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor Global, said: “Lancaster University has a proud track record of delivering carbon-saving changes for the benefit of our community and planet. Our wind turbine already provides approximately 14 per cent of our campus electricity and to date has donated £200,000 to sustainable projects in the local community. This year marks the start of a significant new investment which will bring us even closer to our Net Zero target.”

Features image via Lancaster University website.

Related articles recommended by this writer: