Lancs lecturer who posted photos on site used by paedophiles removed from teaching role

Steven Birkett has been removed from ‘student-facing roles’

Lancaster University has moved Steven Birkett to a ‘non-student facing administrative role’.

It recently emerged that the university lecturer and PhD student had been found guilty of posting pictures of children on a Russian site often frequented by paedophiles.

After being found guilty of sharing pictures of young children in their uniform on the website without permission of the school or parents, Birkett was banned from teaching children.

Birkett’s staff profile has also been removed from the university website.

The university was aware of these convictions upon their employment of him, and maintain that there are no “safeguarding concerns” regarding him teaching children.

A spokesperson for the university said: “Steven Birkett is still employed with Lancaster University and has moved to a non-student facing administrative role.

“His previous appointment as a GTA was fully investigated in consultation with the Department for Education and General Teaching Council and we were and remain satisfied that there are no safeguarding concerns with him teaching undergraduate students.”

Related stories recommended by this writer

WIMCW releases open letter after collecting testimonials of racism at Lancaster University

Students Support Strike meeting with UCU this week

Lancaster LGBTQ+ Forum has ended boycott of Generation nightclub