Image may contain: Finger, Banister, Handrail, Long Sleeve, Home Decor, Person, Human, Clothing, Sleeve, Apparel

M6 closure might disrupt returning Lancs students this weekend

Driving back to Lancs? Read this

Plans to remove the Nans Nook M6 footbridge this week will force closures of the M6, causing disruption for many students travelling back to Lancaster after Christmas.

The bridge, located south of Lancaster Services, is over the M6 between junctions 32 and 33. This section of the M6, between Preston and Forton will close from 9pm on Friday January 10th until 5am on Monday 13th (and again on weekends 17th- 20th and 24th- 27th of January).

Highways England confirmed this via Twitter:

Highways England also issued a three-phase plan of the work. Phase one began January 6th and will continue for four nights, between 9pm and 5am. Phase two will mean a full weekend closure of the junctions from Friday 10th of January. Phase three will take place from 13th January for one week of overnight roadworks.

This means if you're headed back to Lancs during any of these dates, it may be best to take a look at your journey and reroute, to avoid pissing off your Dad when he can't work the sat nav.

It has also been explained that since the work will be weather dependant, contingency dates have been set later in January, and commuters will be notified of any changes.