Image may contain: Overcoat, Suit, Coat, Selfie, Laughing, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Woman, People, Female, Smile, Clothing, Apparel, Face, Human, Person

Champion Hill freshers evicted due to fire risk given two weeks to move out

They have to be out by January 31st

This morning residence at Champion Hill were told they have until the 16th of January to decide where they would like to be relocated to due to potential fire hazards at the residence.

The residence management put a letter under students' doors this morning informing them that they "have identified some potential fire safety concerns."

The students were also sent this information via email.

All residents in Beech, Maple Oak and Rowan must move out by Friday 31 January 2020.

Students will be able to select a date between the 22 January to 31 January 2020 that works best for them.

Students have been told they must inform staff by January the 16th whether they would like to move out and rent privately or be relocated to an alternative University of London residence.

The residence management have told students they made their decision on the 19th of December but the students were not informed until today.

One student told The Tab King's: "I've just had a month and a half off when I could be looking for flats and accommodation. I've started a new term today with new classes, it's very stressful.

"Some people are sitting exams, my classmates found out two hours before their exam that they have to move out."

In the letter to students, building management said: "We have arranged for professional movers, Harrow Green, to move your belongings to your new accommodation allocated by us. You will be provided with suitable boxes to pack and location labels.

"If you decide to find your own accommodation you will receive financial help with your move and the equivalent of ten weeks rent as compensation.

"You will be able to select a moving date between the 22nd January to 31st January 2020. Moving dates must be selected by the 16th.

"We can reassure you that our existing fire safety provision is robust, and you can continue to safely occupy your residence in the interim."

Any students who choose to relocate to another residence will be given financial support with increased travel expenses, and three weeks rent free.

Residents who instead choose to terminate their contract and rent privately will be given the equivalent of ten weeks of rent as compensation, as well as financial help with moving.

With regards to the impact that the sudden move would have on academic work, the management said the following:

"We acknowledge this situation will be disruptive and appreciate the engagement with your studies may be impacted. We are working with faculties to understand the number and nature of assessments due in the coming weeks and will be supporting you as proactively as possible".

This is not the first time students have been left without accommodation this academic year.

Early this year students arrived at various King's accommodation to find out the residences were overbooked, leaving a number of students stranded in hotels.

A King’s College London spokesperson has told The Tab King's: “We are very sorry that we are having to relocate our students at Maple, Oak, Rowan and Beech residences to alternative accommodation.

"We are working closely with KCLSU and we will be providing compensation and extensive help and support ahead of and during the planned relocation.

"We will be discussing individual circumstances around study with each student personally and mitigation will be applied where appropriate over this relocation period.

They continued: "If students have concerns about their studies, they can speak with their personal tutor.

“We have identified some potential fire safety concerns at Maple block that need further investigation at all blocks to understand the level of any risk and any remedial works.

"There has been no incident and we have robust existing fire safety provision in place, but in order to ensure that works can be carried out safely and efficiently we must move residents before we can start.

“Students with any queries or concerns are asked to contact King’s Residences team on [email protected].”

If you have been affected by this story please message our Facebook page or email [email protected]