‘I weighed more when I was nine years old’: What’s like to have depression in final year

I survived on a diet of cigarettes and energy drinks

Three months before my final year exams I was diagnosed with severe clinical-depression. It could not have come at a worse time. I was going crazy with suicidal thoughts and I thought that finally after years of on-off depression I needed to consult with a professional. One in four students in the UK suffer mental health problems. I turned out to be one of them.

I lived in student accommodation during the first two years of university. In the third I moved into private accommodation with a friend. At least with student accommodation even if you did not have many friends, there were always people around to keep the atmosphere lively and to have a smoke with.

To say private accommodation was a disaster for my psyche is an understatement. It was in a dodgy area, where I would have to commute 40 minutes every day to Central London. After two months my flatmate decided to move out so I was all alone. I would wake up to the sound of families fighting at 3am in the morning. I would get groped on my way home at night.

Image may contain: Cup, Glass

Final year of university is loaded with pressure. I was getting nowhere with job applications. Getting rejection after rejection. I was ridden with anxiety, especially since I was funded completely by my parents, and they had great expectations of me flourishing once I graduated.

On top of that, my relationships with people were dysfunctional in particular with an ex-boyfriend boyfriend whose parting words to me were “You know, I told my friends you were a 7/10”.

On top of that, when I decided to give friendship a chance with him he said about my antidepressants, “Why are you taking those? You don’t need them! Those are for losers.”

In November, the fighting started. By January I was bed-ridden most days, scared to leave my house because of my malnourished state – through my diet of only cigarettes and energy drinks – and phobia of interacting with people.

When I eventually went back to my parents place and weighed myself on a scale, my jaw dropped. 40kg. I weighed more when I was nine years old.

Initially I was prescribed a three months course of antidepressants. It worked some days, and some days it just gave me nauseating side effects. Although I had thought of deferring, I managed to sit my exams.

Image may contain: Clothing, Cloak, Person, People, Human

But what I learnt most is it's best to let people in. The biggest realisation for me was that I could not go through this alone. I really focused on who was healthy for me and who was toxic. My friend held my hand while I was at the GP. Those are the people who gave me the strength to sit my finals.

After this realisation I went out and bought some food, and made a goal for myself to cook at least two meals a week. This increased my weight.

It would be a lie to say that I have recovered completely. Every day is different for me. Sometimes I believe I haven’t healed at all, and am still at rock bottom. Other days I can’t even remember what I was depressed about. Yet the recovery for depression is a slow, gradual process.

There is no happy pill. Usually there are several factors that need to be changed in order to recover. But I can go out now. I am not tired all the time. I can laugh and smile at jokes, and be able to say no to harmful people. That is my biggest lesson and what I will take away from university the most.

King's College London

The Tab King’s

last seen today at 02:02

Get KCL news straight to your WhatsApp

Find out which lecture is getting stormed by protesters, the best UCL trash talk and what your Pret order says about you. Straight into your DMs. 😘