These are the exact plans for the four week long strikes by the UCU this semester at King’s

91.9 per cent of eligible staff called for industrial action

The UCU (University and College Union) released yesterday the detailed plans for the staff strikes taking place across 61 universities in England. There are a total of 14 strike days that span from February to mid-March.

Planned action staff have proposed these strikes as a result of changes to the pension scheme that a vast number of staff accept as part of their contracts.

Adding insult to injury, staff will not be starting their strikes alongside the majority of universities due to a clash in term dates, and therefore are given an extra two days in March as a result of their delay in joining the protests.

Here is the rundown of the 14 days:

First week: Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)

Second week: Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)

Third week: Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (a full week of classes)

Fourth week: Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 March (two days)

According to the UCU, the "independent modeling of the proposals show that a typical lecturer would lose £200,000 in retirement if the UUK plans were imposed".

Sally Hunt, General Secretary for the UCU stated that the "USS already offers worse benefits than other schemes available in universities, and UUK's proposals would make matters worse. I hope more vice-chancellors will pressure their negotiators to work with us to resolve the matter without strike action."

The Tab King's have contacted King's for a comment.

UPDATE 15:45PM:

A comment was received from King's regarding the UCU strikes.

‘We are aware of plans for strike action by UCU running on a number of days between 26 February and 20 March 2018 and we are taking steps in order that there is as little disruption as possible to students’ education. King’s will be open for business as usual and we hope that any disruption to teaching will be minimal. In the event that teaching is postponed, every effort will be made to reschedule as soon as possible.’