KCL set to open German campus post-Brexit

The initiative builds on strong links with the Technische Universität in Dresden

With Brexit a looming reality on the 2019 horizon, the existing ‘transcampus’ initiative at King’s is looking to strengthen EU relationships by setting up an offshoot of the London uni in ‘Silicon Saxony’, Germany.

TU Dresden and KCL already share research interests and programmes, particularly in the field of Biomedicine, and it is hoped a new campus would drive innovation forward even further to demand to the needs of globalised German and UK societies, as well as their industries.

The KCL Transcampus initiative states its aim is to ‘bring the resources, critical mass and individual strengths of each institution together to create an even larger, united and complementary academic and clinical campus.’

Dean Stefan Bornstein hopes a new branch of King’s will solidify relations between London and Germany in the wake of an unpopular and potentially damaging exit from the European Union, which he believes greatly threatens scientific and technical innovation.

Offshore campuses already exist at other UK institutions, including the University of Nottingham in Shanghai and Malaysia. In 2015 UCL announced it would close the doors of its Australian school of engineering sciences and energy, after just seven years of teaching, so here’s hoping the London-Dresden partnership pays off.