Where to go on your lunch break with a fiver

The best places to eat around Strand on that tiny student budget of yours

For when your tummy’s rumbling and you’ve got an hour or two to kill – here’s our countdown of the best places to eat on and around Strand that won’t stretch your student budget.

7. Hare Krishna (WC2A 2AE) – £0

Despite the queues and the fact that you will have to eat it off a paper plate, this is the top choice if you want to spend absolutely nada. Every day, the charitable babes at Hare Krishna offer hot, free food for those in the need – skint students included. Unfortunately, they haven’t extended their goodwill to the Somerset House courtyard just yet. You will have to make the trip to LSE or SOAS, so make sure you ditch the King’s tote bag before doing so or you may attract some dodgy looks.

Worth the wait? These students think so

6. Sainsbury’s (WC2N 5HY) – £3

Granted, it’s not the most unique choice, but I’ve eaten many a meal deal in my time and it’s fair to say that Sainsbury’s has the edge on its competitors. It’s cheaper than Boots and, unlike Tesco who bump up their prices if you want a “finest” sandwich, you can grab any Sainsbury’s sarnie in their deal. A huge baguette (£3.50 on its own), a MaltEaster Bunny (sooo much more fun than a Mars bar) and an Innocent smoothie? Well worth the £3.

Taste the difference…

5. ULU (WC1E 7HY) – £3.50

Cheap food, free wifi and the pleasant aroma of chlorine from the nearby swimming pool – ULU’s Lunchbox Café is the ultimate in fine dining. Jokes aside, a cup of tea will only set you back a quid and the jacket potatoes are super filling. Plus, it’s right next to Senate House Library so you can ease your guilty conscience by following lunch with a long stint of studying.

The buzzing, potato-fuelled ambiance

4. Ecco (WC2B 5RU) – £4

A scenic stroll up Drury Lane takes you to Ecco – possibly the best value pizza place in London. 11-inch pizzas start at £3.50, the service is speedy and there are tonnes of toppings to choose from. A nice change from Pret and you certainly won’t be left hungry.

Nutritious (sort of) and delicious

3. Bloomsbury Farmers’ Market (WC1E 7JL) – £5

What tastier way to shun mass capitalism and support your local farmers by indulging in some of their yummy produce? I didn’t know there were farmers in London either, until I came across this booming market in Torrington Square, which takes places every Thursday. There’s all manner of homegrown and homemade cuisine to grab on the go – burgers, pasta and lots of cake – and the stallholders are all really friendly.

Top choice: roasted chicken ciabatta

2. Cookhouse Joe (W1D 2JB) – £5

At the top end of our budget but worth every single penny, this gem in Soho is the nicest restaurant on our list by far, and you will pass by some pretty cool touristy places on the walk up there. The minds behind Cookhouse Joe pride themselves on their chicken rotisserie but I’d argue that the lunch menu is the restaurant’s greatest selling point. For a fiver (both eat-in and takeaway), you can choose from a chicken, lamb, halloumi or falafel wrap, and it comes with chips. Bargain.

What more could you ask for?

1. Waterfront (WC2R 2NS) – £5

As a loyal King’s student, I had to put the wonder that is Waterfront in pride of place on our list. Without the reintroduction of the famous sharing platters earlier this year, however, I doubt it would have scored so highly. Buddy up with 3 other hungry friends, hand in your fivers, and prepare to be met by a tray of food as big as the table. In addition to the mountain of chicken, curly fries and dough balls, your £5 includes a beer – and you don’t even have to leave campus!

Food = excitement