Freshers’ Flu and how to deal with it

‘If you got Freshers’ Flu last week, then you’re doing something right’

If you’re currently suffering with Freshers’ Flu, then welcome to Glasgow.

Most of us are either resting at home or battling our way through lectures with a nose that runs more than our tears of disappointment for Season eight of Game of Thrones. A lot of people around campus are showing up with a red nose, teary eyes and a soar throat – and not because of their sheer excitement to be back at uni of course –  but because they may have gone out quite a bit during Freshers’ Week.

Freshers’ Flu is an interesting concept, right? It’s like every university’s own little epidemic where a concoction of worldwide bacteria decide to have a party in all of us…and some decided to blame the Freshers by naming it after them! Whether your symptoms are mild or you’re suffering in bed napping all day, here’s a few tips on how to get better.

Tea

Not everyone is lucky enough to have an amazing flatmate who buys this magical Indian tea, but trust me, it works harder than Kris Jenner. It’s called Honitus and has basil, sly (which is a spiced fruit), black pepper and licorice. If you can’t find this tea then try any herbal tea or Lemsip, and hopefully after a few cups your throat will feel better.

Drugs – and not the fun kind

I went to a Tesco last night and little did I know I could not legally buy more than two packets of any medicine. So if you’re smarter than I am try to stock up on Cold & Flu and any vitamins before you actually get the cold or flu.

Nap! Nap nap nap nap nap.

One thing I definitely think helped me get better was staying at home. Even if it meant missing the first HIVE night or a social, rest as much as you need to and nap in-between working from home. Although some students are studying like mad already and have a lot on their plate, if you’re ill, then your body is trying to tell you something!

Soup

If you love soup as much as I do, then get yourself a wee hand blender and boil some veggies for soup. Add some chicken/veggie stock and some pasta and low-and-behold, you have a delicious hot meal full of nutrients. Alternatively, you can buy soup from any supermarket.

Hydrate

Last but not least, please remember to hydrate. I am so bad at drinking water but buying a reusable water bottle really does help because you just sip on it all day when bored and it is so handy! At least a litre of room temperature water along with an abundance of tea should do the trick.

I hope these tips will help you, and if not, at least know that if you got Freshers’ Flu last week, then you’re doing something right and you’re not alone! At least we can all rest easy knowing it was worth a good time.

Related stories recommended by this author: