Racist graffiti spotted on the side of a University of Glasgow building

The words appeared on the St Andrews Building and took aim at Chinese people

Racist graffiti has been spotted within the University of Glasgow campus at the St Andrews Building.

In yellow-green graffiti, sprawled across a gate at the back of the School of Education building, beared the words: “Kill the Chinese”.

This was spotted and shared on a Chinese social media site, Xiaohongshu – described as “China’s answer to Instagram”. The image, which was shared on Monday, has racked up dozens of comments from concerned students since.

By the time The Tab Glasgow made it to the scene at around 1pm on Wednesday, the offensive words had been painted over. However, a faint outline of the words was still visible.

racist graffiti Glasgow University

This comes after other universities within Scotland have been subject to racist attacks. Last month, The Edinburgh Tab reported how an Edinburgh Uni PhD student was racially attacked in The Meadows.

Eric Yang was with members of the Mandarin debate team playing frisbee, when three men started “verbally assaulting” him and “trying to pick a fight”.

Eric said it was the second time in three months he had been the victim of a racist attack in Edinburgh.

A spokesperson for the University of Glasgow said: “The University of Glasgow condemns discrimination of any kind and is committed to promoting equality and diversity across its community and campus.

“The security and wellbeing of students and staff is the University’s number one priority and treats all incidents and complaints seriously. The University investigates all incidents thoroughly and works closely with law enforcement agencies when required.”

Related stories recommended by this author: