Glasgow Uni students attacked in ‘hate crime’ at Dunaskin Mill

Police were called to the hall of residence in the early hours of Monday morning

Two Glasgow Uni students were allegedly attacked and verbally assaulted in a “hate crime” that took place at their hall of residence.

Police and an ambulance were called to Dunaskin Mill in the early hours of Monday morning to reports two students were attacked in the courtyard of their accomodation.

Two men and a teenage girl have been arrested and are due to appear in Glasgow Sheriff Court later today. Fresh, the company who manage Dunaskin Mill, say they are not residents.

A mere ten minute walk to the University of Glasgow campus, Dunaskin Mill is a popular choice for many students.

Moreover, being close to the leafy Kelvingrove Park and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum makes it ever the more desirable student halls.

Fresh specifically promote the safety of Dunaskin Mill on its website. On the website it states: “Rooms are of a high standard, a great place to meet new people and 24-hour security makes you feel safe at all times.”

However, the residents’ safety was called into question in the early hours of Monday 19th September 2022. Two students are alleged to have been attacked by two 22-year-old men and an 18-year-old woman while in the courtyard of the building.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “Around 2.40am on Monday, September 19, officers received reports of hate crime and assault on Dunaskin Mill, Glasgow. A 23-year-old man attended hospital as a precaution.”

Several undergraduates have expressed their concern about the safety of the local area, with some even considering taking up self-defence classes following the alleged attack.

Most students have only arrived to the halls recently during Welcome Week beginning on the 10th of September.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “Two 22-year-old men and an 18-year-old woman were arrested and charged in connection and are due to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday, September 20, 2022.”

Fresh has been approached for comment.

Related stories recommended by this author: