Police investigate ‘deliberate’ fire started at Glasgow Uni Dental School and Hospital

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze at building on Sauchiehall Street on Thursday morning at 1.18am

Firefighters attended a blaze at Glasgow University Dental School and Hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning in what police have since described to be arson.

Four fire engines were spotted outside the hospital at 1.30am on Thursday morning and smoke could be seen coming out of the side of the building. There have been no casualties or injuries reported.

A video shared on TikTok and X (formerly Twitter) shows confusion concerning the origin of the fire, but the source confirmed that it was coming out of the hospital.

Glasgow Live reported that Scottish Fire and Rescue believe that the fire was started deliberately and have now launched an investigation.

The Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, located on Sauchiehall Street, is West and Central Scotland’s premier facility for specialised dental health care, education, and research.

Glasgow Dental Hospital and University of Glasgow Dental School have collaborated to offer undergraduate and graduate dental education, as well as free and discounted treatments to patients. The Greater Glasgow and Clyde Emergency Dental Treatment Centre is also located there.

Jamie O’Neill was present during the fire and shared the video online on TikTok and X. He said he had also witnessed other fires in the area in 2018 and was concerned another iconic Glasgow building would be lost. He said: “Thankfully, I think the fire service got there quick enough”.

A spokesperson for Scottish Fire and Rescue said to Glasgow Live: “We were alerted at 1.18am on Thursday, March 21st, to reports of a building alarm sounding and smoke coming from at a multi storey building in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow.

“Operations Control mobilised four appliances and a height appliance to the scene and firefighters extinguished a large waste bin leaning against the rear of the building.

“There were no casualties and crews left the scene at 2.32am after ensuring the area was made safe.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said to Glasgow Live: “Around 2.10am on Thursday, 21 March, 2024, we were called to a report of a fire within a skip on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.

“Emergency services attended and the fire was extinguished by Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. The fire is being treated as wilful and enquiries are ongoing.”

Featured image via X (Twitter) / JATV Live.