Image may contain: Supermarket, Market, Shop, Crate, Box

There’s a petition to save Durham’s Pret

Pret is a pseudo-library and needs saving

Panic and horror has filled the hearts of Durham students across the country and international waters for Pret is set to shut. This has only fuelled our conspiracy that "Durham is desperately clinging onto its identity in the wake of an onslaught of southern toffs, rahs, and poshos".

Please witness some of the panic below:

Image may contain: Text

However there is hope, for a petition to "save our Pret" has been launched and posted into Overheard at Durham.

Eleanor Davis posted on the Overheard at Durham facebook page:

"As many of you may have heard Durham Pret is due to close shortly. Please spare a few seconds to sign our petition!! #saveourpret"

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

The closing of Pret might not seem like a big deal to you, but Lucy Flower poses us with some information to make you think otherwise. The closing of Durham Pret, she writes passionately, is:

"leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the student and local economy, and in the hearts of many a diligent coffee lover".

Pret, she states,

"is more than just a coffee shop; it is a pseudo-library".

Let us not forget it's the cheapest coffee shop around (89p for students!)

Pret has always seemed busy and bubbling upon my daily visits and so I struggle to accept that the reason it is closing down is due to lack of business. So then we have to ask why?

Pret if you leave me now you'll take away the biggest part of me. You were the croissant on my way to that Thursday 9am tutorial and you were also the ham and cheese sandwhich and falafel salad during my lunch break with friends.

Help save Pret people, the pseudo library with 89p coffee. Sign the petition here.