We don’t condone antisemitism but we’ll keep playing Kanye West in our club, says Cardiff SU

The SU will be reviewing the banning of Kanye’s music in the New Year

Cardiff University’s Student Union has said it will continue to play Kanye West’s music despite not condoning antisemitism.

The SU said that it “does not currently have a policy to ban music in the building from any particular artist” but it will be “reviewing it in the New Year”.

West has made headlines after wearing a “White Lives Matter” t-shirt at Paris Fashion Week and making comments about Hitler and the Holocaust, including: “I see good things about Hitler, every human being has something of value that they brought to the table, especially Hitler” and “I’m going death con 3 on Jewish people”.

This comes after at least three Kanye West songs were played at the latest YOLO event in Cardiff SU club Y Plas, including N****s in Paris, Famous and Gold Digger, despite other SUs such as Newcastle Uni’s deciding to ban his music.

A spokesperson for Cardiff Students’ Union said: “We do not condone antisemitism under any circumstances. At the 2021 AGM, a motion was passed to adopt the international holocaust remembrance alliance definition of antisemitism in full and we stand with our Jewish students.

“We do not currently have a policy to ban music in the building from any particular artist but we will be reviewing this in the new year. There are a number of ways that students can engage in this process and we would encourage an open dialogue with the Elected Officer team to discuss this.

“For any students who have been affected by antisemitism, our Student Advice service are available for help and support.”