‘Cuffing season’ is upon us: Here’s how to survive it in Cardiff

Feeling lonely can be even harder at this time of year, but we’re here to help

As the days get colder and the nights get shorter, a new season falls upon us. Not winter, but “cuffing season”. It’s the season where we’re reminded of how single we are in the lead-up to Christmas; everyone seems to be happily dating and enjoying festive activities *sighs* and you’re left to look on, wishing that could be you. 

If this sounds familiar, don’t worry. We have some tips on how to get through it.

Spend time with friends

Surrounding yourself with friends and people you feel comfortable with can help you distract yourself from the lack of a romantic relationship in your life. You could meet some friends for some coffee in one of the arcades or treat yourselves to a shopping spree at St Davids. Depending on your living situation, you could organise some activities with your house/flatmates like a game night or a movie marathon. You never know, maybe some of your friends might be having their own struggles with romance. Who knew discussing failed relationships could be such a bonding experience? 

Waterloo Tea in Wyndham Arcade is an excellent catch-up spot

Re-watching favourite rom-coms

Sometimes there’s nothing better than falling back into the comfort of your favourite rom-com. Whether you’re a Bridget Jones’ Diary or Crazy Rich Asians fan, there are plenty of films to choose from when you’re in need of a reminder that there is hope and that love actually does exist…

Self-care

Taking care of yourself mentally and physically should always be a priority, especially in the current climate. You could have a pamper night (sheet masks are always a go-to), change your wardrobe or even dye your hair to give yourself a new look. Going to the gym is another good form of self-care. But like many of us, if you can’t face the walk through Cathays to the gym in the cold you could always do a 15-minute yoga workout tutorial from the comfort of your room.

A good skincare routine is everything

Nights Out

A night out can be one of the best remedies for loneliness. Between getting ready, meeting up with friends and blasting your favourite Taylor Swift songs, you’ve completely forgotten why you were sad in the first place. Whether it’s YOLO on a Wednesday night or Pryzm on a Monday, you’ll never be short of options when it comes to a night out in Cardiff.

Dating Apps

As a final resort, Tinder might come in handy. You’ll re-download the app for the fifth time filled with optimism that you’ll find the one this time. You tell yourself this time will be different. You think it’s going well until you realise that profiles you swiped left on are now starting to re-appear. You accept defeat and delete the app. Better luck next time.