New train company to provide faster and cheaper services for students travelling to Cardiff

Grand Union has been approved to run trains from Cardiff to London and West Wales

Students travelling to and from Cardiff University by train may benefit from more services to choose from, with lower fares and more comfortable journeys from 2024. Grand Union Trains, who were approved to commence operations by the Office of Rail and Road, intend to run five limited-stop trains per day between London and Carmarthen, calling only at Bristol Parkway, Newport, Cardiff Central, Gowerton, and Llanelli.

This means that Great Western Railway will face competition for the first time on the London to Cardiff route, as well as Transport for Wales between Newport and Carmarthen, which is likely to mean fares will be lowered. Therefore, it’s looking promising that Cardiff students will have a cheaper journey to and from home, and with the new services not calling at any stations between Bristol and London, or between Cardiff and Gowerton (just west of Swansea), a faster journey too.

Students aged 18-25 at Cardiff University are also entitled to a Young Person’s Railcard, which offers them a discount of 30 per cent for most train services in England and Wales for a sum of £30 per year, or £70 for three years, but can be free when students open a student account with Santander.

Media student, Xander who uses the train to get between home and university said: “It’s great news that more travel options will be available,

“It means there are more train times to choose from, so I can book one closer to a time that works for me.”

With the railway through Cathays and Heath also set to receive major upgrades, including electric trams, it seems connectivity for Cardiff is right on track. 

Related articles recommended by this writer:

This is what you’re like on a night out, based on your favourite Cardiff club

Here’s the best places to get cocktails in Cardiff

Here’s the best places to watch the FIFA World Cup in Cardiff