Tom Hardy filming in Cardiff: showcasing snowy American scene for Netflix thriller

Bute Street has seen winter come early in filming for new Netflix movie ‘Havoc’

Tom Hardy and crew have been spotted filming for the thrilling Netflix drama ‘Havoc’ after a film set was spotted, having been built on Bute Street and transforming Cardiff into an American dingy alley.

‘Havoc’ is set to release in 2022, and centres around a detective who battles his way into the criminal underworld (following a drug deal gone wrong) to rescue the estranged son of a politician.

Directed by Welsh-born Gareth Huw Evans, who is best known for his work in films The Raid and The Raid 2, and television series Gangs of London.

Police cars line the street covered in fake snow

Letters to businesses and residents of Bute Street and the surrounding area were received ahead of filming, indicating that filming will take place from Bute Street to Hemingway Road from September 27 to September 30, between the hours of 7pm and 5am.

Tom Hardy and crew filming on set this week

Bute street road closures have been carried out from 4pm each day and will continue for the duration of filming, to allow for American road signs to be put up and fake snow to be spread along the streets.

American street signs line the street where English and Welsh signs normally stand

The streets are lined with US police cars, along with a SWAT Van, American ambulance and an exterior of a subway station.

SWAT Van, ambulance and police cars to set the scene

Filming for the Netflix film has been taking place across locations in South Wales since May.

Stars including Forrest Whittaker, Timothy Olyphant as well as Tom Hardy have been spotted around South Wales as filming takes place.

Tom Hardy has been frequently spotted in and around Cardiff, smiling for pictures with stunned fans in Barry Island and even at Cardiff Marks and Spencers store.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Our favourite glam night out is back: Say hello to Fight Night Chapter VII

• Dear freshers, here’s the real truth about living as a student in Cardiff

• We went to the first Yolo of the year and here’s what you might have missed