‘Violence felt imminent’: Three stabbed and six hospitalised after city centre disturbance

Three people have suffered stab wounds

Multiple people were stabbed and roads closed off last night after a “violent incident” took place on Queen Street in Cardiff.

South Wales police have reported that six people have been hospitalised with various injuries, including three individuals who are believed to have suffered stab wounds. One individual reportedly suffered head injuries and remains in “a serious condition”.

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and are currently being held in custody in Cardiff Bay.

A police spokeswoman has reportedly stated that a taser was used to detain one man who was obstructing officers, but added that it’s not believed he was involved in the violent incident.

One student who had been in the city centre just before the disturbance said: “I was walking through town and it was so busy, like totally rammed

“And honestly felt like violence was imminent, so many police and just a lot of aggressive drunk people”.

Detective Superintendent Esyr Jones said: “This was a violent and completely unacceptable incident which has understandably caused alarm within the local community.

“A team of twenty detectives are currently investigating the incident, trawling through vast amounts of CCTV and speaking to a number of witnesses, and I want to reassure the public that we will be relentless in identifying and arresting all those involved.

“This appears to have been an isolated incident involving local youths, all of whom can expect to find officers knocking at their doors as enquiries progress.”

According to South Wales Police, an “investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances”. They urge anyone who witnessed the incident to contact the police, by phoning 101 and quoting occurrence 2000424668.