Student fights to protect mental health services during COVID-19 pandemic

A petition has been created to ensure mental health services are available remotely

Ed Farrell, a Third Year student at Cardiff University, has created a petition that encourages Health and Wellbeing services to re-open remotely. This follows the university’s decision to suspend many of their support services, while moving others online in the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Cardiff has stated that “we are suspending one to one appointments, workshops, courses, groups and drop-in services until further notice.”

With mental health under increased pressure due to the pandemic, and with exam season approaching, many are concerned that the university is simply not doing enough to support students.

The university has said that any student who contacts the services, and who had not been previously referred to them, will receive “an email with support information, including online and self-help resources.”

Students have reportedly received this link to generic support when emailing student support for the first time, instead of being offered the 1-2-1 Facetime or phone call appointments.

Concerned for the students that already require access to these provisions and the hundreds more who may need mental health support in this unprecedented time, Ed has started a petition.

He believes that “removing a large provision of mental health support at a time of a troubling global crisis makes no sense to me.”

He started the petition with the hope that the department will reopen remotely, so that phone and video call alternatives will be available to all and ensuring students have access to adequate support.

The petition currently has nearly 90 signatures, though the hope is that with more signatures, it can ensure students will get the support they need during these difficult and uncertain times.

You can view and sign the petition here. 

Have you been directly affected by coronavirus? Email tips to [email protected]

If you suspect you have coronavirus, you should phone NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 or 111 for advice.