Breaking News

Welsh Varsity is now being ‘closely monitored’ because of coronavirus spread

Shoes off if you hate coronavirus

The Welsh Varsity between Cardiff University and Swansea University is being “closely monitored” as the coronavirus situation develops and poses a threat to Varsity.

In a recent email from Cardiff University Students’ Union, it states that the SU has “received a number of enquiries” regarding COVID-19 and are in close communication with Swansea to ensure the event can go ahead.

Although the government has not restricted mass public gatherings, the SU said: “we do not yet know how that will change in coming weeks”.

Nevertheless, they have reassured students that they are “continuing to plan for the event to go ahead” and have asked students to “keep their TEAMCARDIFF fingers crossed with [them]”.

They have also claimed that if the worst happens and Varsity is indeed cancelled, they will ‘commit to providing a refund to all ticket holders’.

Varsity is a much-loved annual event that is happening in Swansea University this year, where one case of coronavirus has been confirmed. Many students have expressed their concerns over Varsity being potentially cancelled, with one saying “it’s the best day of the year, I’d be gutted” and another saying “pretty gutted as it’s my last year/opportunity to go”.

However, students have acknowledged that if Varsity was to be cancelled, “as long as we get our money back, it’s understandable”.