Image may contain: Haircut, Face, Hair, Girl, Blonde, Person, Teen, Woman, Kid, Child, Human, Female

Cardiff Uni Law student appears on Channel 5’s ‘Rich Kids Go Skint’

Is it possible to survive without Waitrose?

A 19-year-old Law and French student from Cardiff University has appeared on Channel 5's most-recent episode of Rich Kids Go Skint.

It's a series which sees six young adults give-up their usual, lavish lifestyle to spend a weekend with families living on the breadline.

In the episode, Devon swapped her family's extravagant Exeter mansion, made up of eight bedrooms and 12 bathrooms, for a three-bedroom terrace house in Lincoln with the Gibbons family.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1eAkQSDPXP

The Russell Group student receives a monthly allowance of £500, a higher income than the average 19-year-old makes from a part-time job.

She spends £5-£100 per week on Deliveroo, shops in Waitrose and maintains a wardrobe stocked with designer clothing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4IZ3fwDpmA

The daughter of a millionaire, she said: "I wouldn't say I have to worry about money, my parents could always back me up, I don't have to be cautious about it."

Meanwhile, the Gibbons family of five are struggling to make ends meet, left with just £54 per month to spend after food, childcare and bills.

Despite their combined salary and benefits, the family are also in £3,000 worth of debt.

The show brings attention to the alarming contrast between high and low income families in the UK. The Gibbons family are no anomaly, as 20 million Brits live in poverty.

Sammie Gibbons gave up her training as a nurse to look after their three children, while her husband earns £1,100 per month.

"If we had Devon's allowance we could be out of debt in four months.

"It upsets a little bit to think she doesn't have to think about what she spends on clothes or her hair or her beauty.

"We could save for a new house, our life could be dramatically changed, which is scary to think."

Commenting on her overall experience, Devon said: "I think I'll take away the fact that I am very lucky, and I need to appreciate that a bit more and realise that not everyone is lucky enough to live the way I live."