Image may contain: Machine, Wheel, Architecture, Building, Town, Urban, Downtown, City, Asphalt, Tarmac, Pedestrian, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Automobile, Person, Human, Traffic Light, Light

Paramount filming for Mark Wahlberg film has finished in Cardiff city centre

Cardiff is the new Hollywood

Filming has finished in the city centre for a new Mark Wahlberg film, Infinite, which is set to hit screens next year.

The film, directed by Antoine Fuqua, is an adaptation of the 2009 novel ‘The Reincarnations Papers’ by D. Erik Manikraz. It follows the story of a man who realises his hallucinations are visions from past lives.

Newport Road was closed from Saturday evening until Tuesday morning, and it is understood that stunts were being filmed in and around the Mercure Holland House Hotel.

Although minor disruption was caused to commuters, most were excited by the prospect of seeing Mark Wahlberg, and a real life Hollywood set.

New York Police Department cars were spotted along the street, as well as American style traffic lights and other props.

But why pick Cardiff to film a scene set in New York?

Wales is increasingly becoming a place of interest for Hollywood, with more and more blockbuster hits being filmed up and down the country.

The Welsh Government’s creative industry team and Ffilm Cymru Wales have been working to raise the profile of Wales as a filming location. Both have invested money into establishing the country as a recognisable, accessible, and world renowned filming location.

While being an incredibly exciting venture, it also promises to boost the economy, create jobs, and support small businesses. Founder of Red Dragon Flagmakers, Jo Ashburner Farr said:

“The rise of Wales as a filming location has been fantastic for Wales and is now a big part of our business.

“The film production network in Wales is growing all the time which is helping Welsh businesses employ and up-skill local people.”

Aside from Infinite, a host of other Hollywood films have recently been filmed across the country. Wonder Woman 1984 recently concluded filming in Snowdonia, with the film due to be released in June 2020.

So while it’s extremely cool that Hollywood have come to Cardiff, it appears as though it won’t be the last time!

Keep your eyes peeled to see who'll be filming around here next.

Feature image via @streetwiselee on