Tuition fees to increase to £9,250 across universities in Wales from 2018

An increase in financial support for students will be made available though

Welsh ministers have announced today the news that tuition fees will rise for universities across Wales from next year.

The £9,000 fees cap currently in place will increase, to £9,250 from the autumn of next year. A decision that has been met with a mixed response from a number of current and prospective students.

This follows the increase already seen in fees at universities across England to the same figure, with that expected to rise further to £9,500 within the next twelve months.

Oliver, from Mid Wales, hoping to study in Wales from September, feels that the increase is a sign of the times. “I think it is disappointing that, again, it seems higher education is fast becoming the reserve for the rich and privileged.”

The Welsh Government have also confirmed that, as a result of this increase, it will implement a new system of financial support for students as all students from 2018-19 will get £1,000 a year before being considered for a means-tested grant to help with living costs.

Ministers estimate a third of full-time students will receive the maximum grant of £8,100 for a student living away from home, and students coming from a household with an income of £25,000 will receive a grant of around £7,000 a year.

A spokesperson for Universities Wales said: “Universities Wales welcomes the proposed package of maintenance support announced today, and is pleased to be part of a system which would give students from Wales the most progressive, generous package of maintenance support in the UK.”