Actress claims that a Cardiff taxi driver refused her because of her wheelchair

He started shouting at her in the street

A disabled actor has shared her story on Twitter of a driver refusing to let her in his taxi because of her wheelchair, as she tried to get from Cardiff Central station to her hotel at night.

Shannon Murray, who has most recently appeared in Doctor Who spinoff Class, and has been paralysed since the age of 14, discovered on Monday night that there are still problems with the attitudes of a few taxi drivers.

Cardiff Taxis have long come under scrutiny for the way in which they treat their customers. In the last year, The Tab has reported on various issues such as drivers still refusing to take girls on short journeys in the wake of sexual assaults. In 2016, five drivers had their licenses suspended over complaints about not refusing short fares.

Photo: @Shannonemurray

Murray, who was paralysed in a diving accident when she was 14, was attempting to get into the passenger seat of the car when the driver started repeatedly shouting at her that the wheelchair would not fit in his vehicle. Shannon knew that it would, but the driver’s response led to an embarrassing situation for her in front of a large queue of people.

The actress said she felt very embarrassed by the ordeal as the driver shouted at her refusing her as a passenger because of her wheelchair which was collapsible.

Another taxi, a car of the same size as the previous one, then pulled up and allowed Shannon into the taxi with her wheelchair and the driver told his colleague he should’ve taken her.

Shannon told WalesOnline that her faith in humanity was restored after the customers waiting in the queue behind her, who had witnessed the altercation, refused to get in his taxi. “It was amazing, it was incredible. It was people voting with their wallets because he lost money,” she said. “It was really, really touching. It’s rare that people will make a public show of support.”

On Thursday evening Murray went on to say how much she appreciated the support after the event and that the incident has been reported to Cardiff City Council on Twitter.

In 2015, after a series of sexual assaults occurred in Cardiff, and a campaign followed for girls to not walk home alone at night. Shannon’s experiences, as well as the discovery that taxi drivers were still refusing to take girls on short journeys earlier this academic year, show that the struggle to get home late at night still exists.