The ‘perfect’ body according to Cardiff uni

We asked students what they thought

A topic that seems to be very important to student these days is our appearance. Through different platforms of social media, we’re all subjected to portrayals of body image at some point in our lives. But who says one body type is better than the other? What counts as the ‘ideal’ body type?

As children we instantly receive models of the ‘ideal’ body type through Barbie dolls, Bratz dolls and even action figures. From an incredibly young age, children are immediately given an idea that to be beautiful, you need to look like Barbie. We all know this is an unrealistic, stylised ideal, but nonetheless, we are continuously subjected to it.

Through TV and magazine ads, we see models who fit a very particular ‘look’. We only have to look at Victoria’s Secret’s ‘The Perfect Body’ advert to understand this one. The advertisement shows a collection of very slim, very glamorous girls labelled with ‘the perfect body’.

But what exactly is perfect about this body? Similarly, Dove’s ‘Real Women’ campaign portrays an array of curvy girls as what defines a ‘real’ woman. There seems to be a constant battle in the media over which body image is better than the other.

The Tab spoke to a number of fellow Cardiff University students, to see what their opinions were on ‘the perfect body’.

Billie, English Language, year 2. ‘Many people think that the perfect/ideal body image is to look like a Victoria’s Secret model; flat stomach, thigh gap, etc, and this is reinforced by the media to make audiences think that this is what the ideal body should look like. Yet this doesn’t take into account the fact that each and every one of us are different and have different qualities. I believe the ideal/perfect body type doesn’t exist – rather, it is to be the fittest, healthiest, and stronger version of yourself you can be.’

Kera, an English Language 2nd year said; “For me, the ideal body or the ‘perfect’ body would definitely be taller than I am, so long slim legs and a fit toned body!

“I definitely would call Kendall [Jenner]’s body ideal, but honestly she probably finds fault with herself so I think the ‘perfect’ body is an illusion that constantly changes based on media perceptions.

“What’s perfect to one person isn’t perfect to another so as long as you’re happy when you look in the mirror and you’re content with yourself, I think that’s when you have an ideal body”

‘In my experience a lot of people want the body they don’t have. It’s that idea that skinny girls wish they were curvier and bigger girls often want to get thinner. I guess an ideal body image should primarily be about being healthy but also finding confidence in your own body without comparing it to everyone else’s.’ Sabrina, English Language, year 2.

‘I reckon body type is something that’s been constructed by the media in order to manipulate people into thinking that there is only 1 ideal body shape, which is not the case at all. With the increase in people using social media this whole ‘body shape’ craze has taken off and people need to get back to reality’, Betsy, English Literature, year 2.

‘Too fat, too thin – that’s just media spin. To be honest, I think if a person comes across as confident and comfortable in their own skin, then that’s all that really matters, right? If we started encouraging self-love and acceptance instead of destroying the self-confidence of another generation of men and women until they feel like they are nothing. Yes, I’d give my left arm to look like Sebastian Stan or Ricki Hall, but I know it’s never going to happen – so I just have to learn to love the body that I’ve been given.’ Jack, Journalism, year 2.

So does this answer my question? Not really.

It’s one of those questions that never really has a definitive answer. If girls and boys aspire to look a certain way depending on what their culture finds attractive, then there isn’t one universal ‘perfect body’.

A lot of teenagers struggle with self-acceptance, self-worth and self-esteem due to the constant portrayal of the ideal body in the media, so how do we overcome this?

My fellow students have all argued the same point: believing that the ideal or perfect body type is the best version of you you can be.