Cardiff’s best takeaways

The truth

BALTI KING

Not the best for a hangover, but Balti King is probably the cheapest Indian takeaway out there. Plus, save on delivery costs and make the short walk to Woodville road, not forgetting to take advantage of their student discount. You can even grab a cobra beer with your takeaway.

CHICKEN COTTAGE

We all have our preconceptions about badly cooked chicken and poor hygiene ratings, but Chicken Cottage (on Salisbury Road) is not what you expect. Think KFC but a bit cheaper – ideal.

KAMA LOUNGE

Don’t be put off by Abigail’s next-door. Not content with being in arguably the best location for a student in Cathays, Kama Lounge takes the prize for the tastiest takeaway option as well. The chicken katsu curry at this place is not to be missed, throw in some wings and sweet and sour sauce and your Sunday evenings are sorted for the whole year.

The bright lights of the legendary Kama Lounge.

CAFE 37

Whether you’re lining your stomach with greasy goodness before an all-day drinking rugby Saturday, or seeking a substance to cure you of the hangover suffered at the hands of Live Lounge wine, Cafe 37 on Salisbury road is the answer. Arguably the best hangover cure in Cathays (it was a close-run thing between this and Ramons over the road).

KBS

The kebab house on City Road pips Mama’s for its sublime salad on top of disgustingly delicious donner meat. These kebabs are so good, you can eat them sober.

Sorry Mama’s – but KBS’s “award-winning”kebabs make the shortlist.

SUBWAY, CRWYS ROAD

How could we forget this one? The “healthy” hangover cure – if you class smothering yourself in ranch sauce and mayonnaise and asking for extra meat and extra cheese on a foot-long toasted sandwich as healthy. But it just tastes fantastic.

The king of the healthy hangover cure.