UBER is launching in Cambridge TODAY

Girton students have been seen celebrating in the streets.

cab Cambridge cambridge student King's College Panther station taxi Uber UberBlack UberX university

As of 4pm today, Cambridge residents will be able to order UberX taxis. 

For those of you have been living under a rock, Uber is an app that allows customers to request a driver via their smartphones, automatically calculating cost of the journey and transferring payment upon arrival. No more drunken fumbling around with pound coins.

All hail to the gig-economy.

Uber’s general manager in Cambridge, Fred Jones stated that the company is “incredibly excited to be launching in Cambridge today.”

“There has been a lot of anticipation for Uber’s arrival and already more than 20,000 people in the city have opened the app in the last three months. From today we’re looking forward to helping people get a safe and affordable ride at the touch of a button.”

Whilst we will have to wait to find out the exact pricing of trips, apparently a journey to Kings College from the trains station will cost around £5.80. Unfortunately for those with a taste for the finer things, there are currently no plans to introduce the premium service: UberBlack.

This place just became a whole lot more accessible.

Whilst Uber has come under criticism in recent months – being accused of not properly vetting their drivers, representing unfair competition, and treating drivers who use the app poorly – Cambridge City Council agreed to introduce the company – granting them a taxi operator licence in August.

Uber has recently responded to concerns over safety issues, stating that all drivers will be fully licensed, and will be subject to fill DBS checks.

Debates over the company’s integrity aside, we can all agree on one thing: it’s about to become a whole lot easier to get home from Cindies at 2am.