UPDATE: Rower Finds Body In River Cam

Police believe the man found on Sunday morning died of drowning.

boats body in the cam Cambridge cambridge area Cambridge rowing cambridgeshire cambridgeshire police cops death fort st. george harry shukman inspector midsummer common News police river cam row rower Rowing the tab

UPDATE: 1st February

A post mortem has revealed that the man discovered by rowers last week died from drowning.

It is thought that the man had been in the river for a few days before he was found by a sculler early on Sunday morning.

However police have decided not to treat the death as suspicious. A spokesman said that “we have passed the details on to the coroner. An inquest will be held in due course.”

————————————

A body has been found in the River Cam today, confirm Cambridge Police.

A sculler out on the river for an early morning row saw a body and alerted local cops, who have now cordoned off the area around Fort St. George, near Midsummer Common.

Speaking to Cambridgeshire Police, The Tab learned that the body is a man believed to be in his 30s, and the circumstances of his death are still unclear.

Fort St.George, near where the body was found

Inspector Kate Scott working on the investigation said that events would be treated “as suspicious until proven otherwise,” as a “more sinister” cause of death had not been ruled out.

Police have asked that no-one use the river today in the surrounding area to help the investigation.

A body was found under similar circumstances in the Cam last term.

More to follow.