The Bravery

JENNA CORDEROY: The Bravery live up to the name of punk as they smash back onto the UK music scene

band Indie new wave new york rock the bravery the haymakers the royal chains transfer

Friday 11th February, The Haymakers, £9:

[rating: 5/5]

Legal issues with record labels and bureaucratic difficulties delaying their latest album releases mean that New York indie rockers The Bravery have been absent from the UK charts for some time. Now with the legal disputes behind them, The Bravery, best known for their single An Honest Mistake, are back on tour with a new album to be released later this year. Their intimate gig at The Haymakers proved that they are bigger and better than ever before.

It was more battle of the bands than humdrum line-up of support acts. First was The Royal Chains, an exciting New York three-piece rock band that warmed up the audience with their catchy synths and beats. Then heavy rock band Transfer, all the way from San Diego, drew the crowds in with their infectious hooks and Tommy Gun-style snare hits; they executed an impressive set. The small venue soon became packed, fans drenched in each others’ sweat – only the ideal conditions for a night of post-punk revival.

Starting with Unconditional, the set was a good mixture of old and new, from Gary Numan-esque Tyrant, to Ours off of the Twilight soundtrack. The Bravery’s set was seamless; incredibly tight and professional, and without the unnecessary talk with the audience that many rock bands feel they need to indulge in. Time Won’t Let Me Go was a clear favourite with the audience, as well as the dark, menacing Hatefuck (If I put my fingers in your mouth/Would you bite them?): raw, gritty, the crowds were blown away as lead singer Sam Endicott lunged into the audience, staggering across the stage like a cross between Mick Jagger and Robert Smith. Effortlessly cool, they brought back the glorious sounds of the New Wave era.

An Honest Mistake should have been left to the end. Better than the original, The Bravery’s rendition was explosive as they sped up the later choruses, living up to the name of punk. Still, Fearless was just as good for the closer. But the night demonstrated that the band will be making more of an appearance on the UK music scene this year, and that great things are expected from their forthcoming album. ‘Fuck yeah, they’re fucking awesome’ said an American fan, throwing his beer into the air as crowds poured out of the venue, gasping for fresh air. A flawless performance, The Bravery will finish their February tour at Hoxton Square Bar and Kitchen, London.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8vzbezVru4