What we can look forward to now Fabric has been saved

Praise the lord

If you approached anyone asking “what is the best night club in England?” the resounding answer would be London’s very own Fabric. The reasons for loving Fabric vary from the A-list line-ups, to the, shall we say, ‘unique’ atmosphere. Those seeking refuge from the festival blues could go to the club and relive the longing for a good messy weekend.

A brief summary for those who still haven’t recovered full consciousness after their memorial bender at the nearest Butlins, I have good news! Fabric had its license revoked in early September after the drug related deaths of two clubbers. Now this tragic incident was not rebuffed by anyone, but many believed the club having its license revoked was unnecessary. Over 150,000 people including famous music artists like Goldie petitioned to save Fabric from permanently shutting down through the #saveourculture campaign. Thankfully, after some ‘advanced talks’ to reopen, Fabric announced it would be opening under new legal requirements. 

Now what is the future for Fabric? What is known is that the additional money raised by #saveourculture is being used to protect other venues from being shut down in equally unnecessary lawsuits. Fabric has also been invited to submit comments on the Licensing Act of 2003 to discuss difficulties faced by licensed premises. The belief of the #saveourculture campaign is to make the closing of premises a last resort.

Now if the betterment of musical culture in Britain isn’t quite enough for your tastes then those who donated are getting a nice little treat. Those that helped support Fabric are going to be invited to ‘cement’ their part in its history and be part of a piece of artwork that is to be installed in the club.

After reading about art and the ever-intriguing inner workings of licensing law you’re probably far too excited, but for those not quite satisfied let’s talk about what Fabric plans are for music. I have no doubt that Fabric’s beautiful bassy brainchild Fabric Live will carry on and persist to produce stellar music.

But what about the club itself? Until the new year, there’s going to be a couple of nights held in different venues in London to satisfy everyone’s thirst for its return. Once we get to the first weekend in January, we’ll be seeing some surprise artists that are going to be announced on the night. If I had to guess, I reckon we’ll end up seeing a number of those big names involved in the campaign either playing or partying along with us.

What I do know is that in the new year we can go back to Fabric and we can experience the awesome – if slightly sweaty – nights that have been the precursor to some of the biggest names in electronic music history. Who knows, maybe we’ll get to see something big happen. All that can be said is that there is something we can look forward to in 2017 to make up for everything that’s happened in 2016.