Two Brookes grads have opened a Halloween shop on Cowley

We talk to the owners to find out how many Harley Quinns to expect

Freddie Goodall and Sam Zappi, two of the most active and well known Brookes graduates, have re-opened their shop on Cowley Road selling Halloween costumes for £10 and under.

The pair are well known for their involvement in various club nights and the Ox Events, so we went down and asked them and a couple of customers some questions.

Why open on Cowley?

Well it falls into the main catchment area for Brookes students who don’t want to have to go all the way into town to buy a costume. When we saw the space and knew we had to take it, it’s a great location. We know Halloween is the one night everyone gets dressed up for, and we also sell to some sports and societies doing group costumes.

Did you guys think about student budgets when you set up?

Yeah, we looked at the market, we know it’s too expensive in the centre and Tesco brand stuff is shit. We wanted to be the middle market with some good costumes. We have bloody surgeon costumes and scary cheerleaders and that sort of thing, the prices are £10 or under. We have sold a lot of scary clown masks, but we’re not promoting the whole creepy clown thing, don’t be a dick about it. We have had a lot of people asking for Harambe and Harley Quinn costumes. We are planning on getting some Quinn stuff later but Harambe stuff is too expensive.

If you wear this on a night out we will hate you.

What is your favourite costume?

Sam likes to cross dress, but the zombie nurse is great, and the bloody surgeon, a Kill Bill costume, and the creepy Reverend. We like the coloured contact lenses too.

Why have you decided to re-open your shop?

After the fun we had last year we thought it would be great to do it all again after the demand from the students for us to do another shop with affordable halloween fancy dress.

We also asked Bertie Barnell and Jack Carnell, friends of Sam and Fred, what he thought of the shop.

What do you guys like about the shop?

The stuff is great for the £10 and under mark and they sell accessories like blood too. There isn’t a costume shop around here apart from Celebrations, so it’s great they opened.

Any preference costume wise?

The mummy mask is sick, and the Kill Bill costume. For girls the cat or Harley Quinn costumes look great. Also maybe the killer clown stuff, it’s scary as!

Lord Bertie Barrel and Jack Carnell