Brookes ranked in top 50 universities in the country (just about)

Poly dun good

According to the latest university rankings conducted by The Guardian, Oxford Brookes has drunkenly stumbled and fallen 9 places from last year coming in at 48.

However there were a few surprises in store this year, with our own little former Poly dominating the rankings in Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism.

In Tourism we took fourth place, narrowly beaten by our old rival Coventry who came second.

Even more surprising, we came second place in Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations, where Brookes offers courses like Publishing, Media, and English Language and Communication.

But predictably, we were still beaten overall by Oxbridge. There is small commiseration in watching Oxford get beaten to the coveted top spot by rivals Cambridge though.

First Year English Language student Russell Sheldrake was delighted with the results. He said: “Maybe a 2:2 from Brookes isn’t the worst thing in the world.”

A Reliable favourite: Architecture, struggled this year coming in at 14th while we held our own in the Philosophy rankings, coming in at 7th just behind LSE and a few places below the almighty Cambridge.

While we were graced with several highs, there were unfortunately several new lows for Brookes, with the subjects of History and Psychology scoring particularly low at 50th.

Even the simple task of colouring in proves difficult for some of us here at Brookes with our Geography and Environmental studies rank of 52nd.

And never before has our “partying over politics” sentiment been more apparent as we tied with Lincoln in 64th place for the subject.

While we may not be the most adept when it comes to colouring within the lines or holding our own in a heated political debate, at least we can be rest assured in the fact that we show compassion for our fellow human beings as recent surveys have shown.