University to review fire safety after evacuation blunder

After last week’s fire alarm blunder, the university plans to review fire safety in John Henry Brookes building

The university are to review fire safety procedures after last week’s impromptu fire alarm in the John Henry Brookes building.

A university spokesman confirmed the alarm was triggered accidentally by someone who mistakenly pressed a fire alarm.

Last week’s fire alarm revealed a lack of organisation during the evacuation of JHBB as librarians struggled to take command of the situation and ensure students move away from the building.

Students evacuating John Henry Brookes Building

During the fire alarm, The Tab spoke to a librarian who didn’t seem to know the evacuation procedure. She said she had received “little training”.

The university appeared to have an entirely different view on the situation. A spokesman told the Tab that “all library staff act as fire marshals” and “training has been provided for those working in the building.”

This contradiction between the university and the librarians is rather worrying and brings into question the effectiveness of fire training given to staff.

Librarian struggles to get students away from the building

People were also seen leaving the building ten minutes after the alarm was initially sounded. The Tab was informed by students who were studying in teaching rooms on the third floor,  that they only knew there was a fire alarm after they received a text from their flatmate across the road. 

One straggler said: “you cannot hear the fire alarm from JHB304 with the door open… which is a major hazard!”

Stragglers leaving JHBB 10 minutes after the siren started

The university said that “the building is split into different zones and alarms will therefore only sound in particular areas”.

This approach to fire safety seems flawed, as students could still be in danger in other areas of the building from spreading flames and smoke.

Following the alarm, the university are planning to review their fire safety procedures to ensure that future incidents are handled effectively.

Have your say. Get in touch by emailing [email protected] or like us on Facebook to get more from The Tab.