State Schools Are Better

Brookes’ own Ben Jenkins argues that state school students receive a better experience from their education than their private rivals.

There is a divide between the privately and publicly educated. It is obvious, especially at University. Thankfully most people can see beyond it. That it really isn’t important.

However, once in while someone’s arrogant, narrow-minded and offensive opinions will bring these differences into the spotlight. Cue Becca Atkinson of Bristol University.

I know who looks more of a knob.

I believe that private schools give you the dangerous opinion that money is everything. Becca writes how only money can buy you a good education but this article is dedicated to the wonderful state pupils and staff that know this isn’t true.

Here are the reasons why:

Rather than being shipped off to some far corner of the North Yorkshire countryside you remain at home, where things actually happen. You spend more time with your family and less time locked up with your boring roommate.

We have this.

You have this.

Freedom is another brilliant aspect of state education. Once school is over you have time to do what you want, where you want, not confined to the muddy grounds inside your stone perimeter fence.

This allows for more variety. Your choices are wide and options vast when it comes to hobbies, sports and past-times. You might have access to better school facilities, but we have access to an entire city’s facilities. We produce better Sportsmen and Women who play proper sports.

We have this.

You have this.

State school pupils are also afforded the luxury of interacting with the opposite sex. Unwanted physical attention in the shower is a smaller problem, infamous ‘power showers’ are far less popular.

At a state school you meet people from all backgrounds, whether that is economic, geographic or political. You obtain a better sense of the world and you are more open-minded. The opposite is true at the top private schools where elitism grows alongside your false sense of self-importance.

We all seemed pretty happy, although this was our last day.

Perhaps this is the saddest aspect of private education. Your self-valuation devalues your opinion of those that aren’t the same as you. You strut around in sports jackets that bear your school’s name just so everyone knows you’re better than them and of course your problems are far more important than everyone else’s. This leads you to make preposterous statements such as exclaiming ‘posh prejudice’, a problem that you are exacerbating, being as bad as racism and homophobia.

What do you think? Get in touch at [email protected] or like The Tab on Facebook.