Image may contain: Housing, Downtown, Road, Street, Vehicle, Transportation, Bus, Neighborhood, Apartment Building, Plant, Tree, Building, City, Town, High Rise, Urban, Human, Person

UoB becomes first uni in the UK to declare a climate emergency

The declaration follows a petition signed by 500 students

The University of Bristol has become the first university in the UK to declare a climate emergency following a petition signed by 500 students.

The petition asked for the University to "demonstrate its leadership and its commitment to sustainability" after Bristol pledged to become carbon neutral by 2030.

Bristol's decision to declare a climate emergency follows the University's attempt to acknowledge "the deep concerns" of Bristol students, claiming that there is "a strong link" between mental health issues and the anxiety surrounding climate change.

Bristol University has already reduced its carbon emissions by 27 per cent, and plans to "divest completely" from investments in fossil fuel companies within the next two years.

Commenting on the declaration, Professor Judith Squires, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, said: “The University of Bristol plays a key role in fighting climate change, it does this through its research, its teaching and how it operates.

“Calling a climate emergency highlights the urgency of the task we are engaged in and I hope others join us in increasing their action on this, the biggest challenge we face.”

Cover Image: Google Maps