Revunions: ‘More hit than miss’

Revunions latest show promises a fast-paced evening of sketch comedy with more highs than lows

Sketch shows by nature can be a bit hit and miss. What may be hilarious to one person may go completely over the head of another.  Even the best struggle to appeal to everyone and are often unable to fill a whole show with constant laughs.

With this in mind, Revunions will therefore be glad to know that their latest offering is certainly more hit than miss.

With a good mix of the surreal and the plain stupid, there’s something here that even the most cold-hearted bastard will find funny.

The constant fast paced nature of the sketches also means that even if you’re not tickled by one scene, something will soon be along to correct that.

If all else fails, there’s even a classic bit of Bristol northern baiting (would you like that in a pie?) that’ll please anyone.

One scene worth highlighting, simply for its genius, depicts the adventurer Internet Explorer and his trusty sidekick Firefox on their quest to find the Facebook.

Reminiscent of Mitchell and Webb’s ‘Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar’, our heroes are pitted against such ridiculous challenges as the sea of pornography and the evil Google Chrome before they can reach their goal.

It is one of those sketches where you think ‘why has no one done that before?’, and is worth the three pound entry alone.

Another sketch that’s also particularly memorable draws on everyone’s secret dislike of successful, over-caring people. In it, a vicar becomes an inadvertent drug mule for a hidden camera show much to the amusement of all.

Yet rather than being exonerated when the prank is revealed, he’s simply sent to prison.

Arguably the only let down of the show were Revunions ‘behind the scenes’ sketches, showing how their show was made.

While being amusing, in particular how a voice-over pretends to select a ‘behind the laughter’ option on a DVD menu, they were almost an attempt to be too clever and risked over-complicating the show.

On a television screen, clear cuts and breaks between sketches allow for such self-analysis, but live it is harder to pull off.

The show in total lasts for around an hour, which is the perfect length to be kept engaged, while each scene lasts anywhere between 30 seconds and five minutes.

As a result there are far too many sketches to recall here, but the majority are well worth seeing. Also, starting early at 7:30, it’s a great warm up to a night out.

One final note on the venue. The location of a theatre next to a dance studio is bizarre.

Not only did yours truly, in a rush, almost walk mistakenly in on 20 odd dancing ballerinas, but much of Revunions production was conducted to the sounds of Nicki Minaj coming through the wall from next door.

That said, while a tad distracting at the time, one could argue on reflection that this merely added to the surreal nature of some of the sketches.

Catch their last show on the fifth floor of the union in the MR5C tonight!