SWOT’s Got Style

SWOT kicked off the week in style this Monday night with their annual fashion show.

SWOT (the Students Working Overseas Trust) hosted their bigger than ever fashion show last night, with over 200 student models taking part. So, naturally, The Tab went along to see what all the fuss was about.

Reppin’ in the cheap seats!

The Whitla Hall looked uncharacteristically stylish to host the fashion show tonight, and inside seats were packed out (we were near the back, unfortunately).

In a cute-but-cheesy video, SWOT president Jonny McDowell (remember the This Is Swot video anyone) quipped that “There hasn’t been a ticket this in demand since Willy Wonka released five golden tickets for his chocolate factory”. Nice.

The show kicked off with a live rendition of the now infamous This Is Swot song (complete with rapping) before we got to see the clothes.

Scrubs are gonna be huge for s/s 14.

House of Fraser meets Great Gatsby

Impeccable choreography

Local UTV legends Sarah Travers and the one and only Julian Simmons were on hosting duties this evening. Julian was fabulous as usual, greeting the audience in many different languages (all complete with perfect Belfast twang) before ending on the ever popular “What about ye?”

Our beloved Julian looking well tanned as ever.

Over 200 student models strutted their stuff tonight but the highlight was undoubtedly the QUB school of medicine lecturers taking to the catwalk. The lecturers were led in all their cheesy glory by Doctor Stanley Hawkins.

Lecturin’, stylin’.

The Tab caught up with Dr. Hawkins after the show and asked him whether this was his first foray into the fashion world. “No, I’ve been doing the show for seven years. I first did it at 60. I would have done it before that, only they never asked!”

We also got some freebies. Thanks for the swag, SWOT

Started in the 1980’s, SWOT has raised over £1 million for charity. We chatted to vice president Noleen Osborne about the success of this year’s show.

“Last year we raised £32,000” Noleen tells us, and that money goes directly back to SWOT’s charities. “This year I’m going to Nepal. I’ll bring the cheque with me, and decide where it’s needed most in the hospital out there.”

VP Noleen Osborne

Donations to SWOT can be made by texting SWOT14 + donate to 70070.