Aberdeen has some new nights out for us

Makes a change from Tunnels

With Aberdeen’s never-changing nightlife scene, the new term finally brought about a change with new venues all over the city.

Since we’re so used to the same night, we decided to see if they were all we had hoped for. May as well get drunk in more places.

The Vault

“A basement with turntables” seems more appropriate than “Vault”.

Most of the nights we’ve found ourselves in Vault have been after planning a Tunnels sort of night and finding out that for whatever reason we can’t go to Tunnels.

The types of people you’ll find in vault depend on the night , but there seems to a common theme of “here for the music” as opposed to the “here because I’m out on the pull” that can be found in many of the main student clubs

There really isn’t much else apart from the music to be there for. It may push the boundaries between “intimate” and “cramped”, but if that’s your thing, you’ll (just) fit right in.

Underdog

So much choice

A Brewdog club? Yep, and it’s pretty damn good.

We were told it was like a mixture of a few different venues around town, but it really is its own thing.

What sets it apart from the rest is the more communal vibe: there’s the stage, bar and the dancefloor, but there’s also a little bubble of sorts at the back of the club where you can actually sit down and hold conversations as opposed to having to shout into people’s ears.

It works for those who prefer a quieter night but also those who like to let it loose on the dancefloor, there really is something for everyone.

It hosts a variety of nights, so there’s no telling who or what might be on next, and with a generously sized stage, dancefloor, and seating, it’s pretty hard not to like this place.

Although the drinks are extortionate.

Krakatoa

Funky

Some of Krakatoa’s alcoholic concoctions are so dangerous that they won’t serve you two within the same hour.

There’s an impressive selection of craft beers and ciders if that’s your thing, but good luck getting through them all in one night.

It also still has the dive bar appeal in that the characters you’ll find there are often quirky and come from all walks of life, and remains a performance venue for bands you’ve probably never heard of, but let’s be honest – you’re only there because you want to push the limits of how much your liver can handle.

With ‘nuclear meltdowns’ and 9%+ ciders that are as easy to drink as apple juice, Krakatoa is fast becoming one of those places we all have a story about and doing Aberdeen proud.

Underground

This is by no means new so why is it on the list?

Underground silently re-launched just about every night in time for the beginning of the new university year and seems to have rebranded itself.

We love it

Gavrillo and Skint Wednesdays were sacrificed to make way for Skint 3.0 on Thursdays.

Crash Fridays was changed from “alt/metal” night to “pop-rock and chart.”

New Underground isn’t quite what it used to be – it’s trying to hold on to the strands of its former self while also bringing itself further away from it.

It’s easier to like New Underground when you stop holding on its old self because, as much as everyone moans about it, everyone is still gonna go, and everyone is still going to have a good time.

These new venues are a refreshing long-awaited addition to Aberdeen’s nightlife scene and here’s hoping for more high-quality places soon.