Aberdeen uni medical student accused of plotting suicide attack

He was arrested the day he was due to graduate

A former medical student at Aberdeen has appeared in court and denied plotting to commit terrorist attacks.

Yousif Badri allegedly collected “practical guidance” on making bombs, destroying buildings and how to make and deploy a weapon.

And it is further alleged Badri had an equipment list for attending a terrorist training camp in Afghanistan.

The 29-year-old was also working out with weights and prosecutors claim his fitness regime was part of his physical preparation to carry out the attacks.

Glasgow High Court

He is also said to have photoshopped himself into pictures and videos of terrorists.

Some of the items which are alleged to have been collected by Badri are said to have possessed technical information relating to previous terrorist operations.

Badri owned a tub of nails containing instructions on how to use them in the preparation of a bomb, the court heard.

Suttie Centre, Aberdeen medical school

The information, allegedly collected over a six year period, is also said to include details on how to attack minesweeping vehicles and destroy buildings as well as carry out “urban assassinations”.

Badri is further charged with creating and possessing documents, video and sound recordings and electronic files containing “extreme ideology, terrorist propaganda and terrorist images”.

He was arrested the day he was due to graduate from Aberdeen Uni with his medical degree in 2013.

His counsel Murdo MacLeod QC told the court his client’s life had been “in limbo” waiting on the case to be brought to trial.

Badri denied the three charges made against him at the High Court in Glasgow.