Rita Ora backs Better Together

Rita shares her insight on the upcoming referendum

Singer Rita Ora backed the Better Together campaign on Monday saying it would be “a sad moment” if Scotland was to become an independent country.

Rita – whose boyfriend is Scots music star and DJ Calvin Harris – spoke out after performing her new single  ‘I Will Never Let You Down’ at BBC Radio One’s Academy in Glasgow for an audience of Glasgow University students.

The singer took part in a question and answer session with Scots radio presenter Ally McRae at Queen Margaret’s Union.

Rita Ora, voice of the people

She remained tight-lipped about Calvin’s take on the burning issue, but when asked about the prospect of Scottish independence, the 23-year-old said: “I love Scotland so obviously it will be a sad moment”.

“But I don’t think it means you guys will disappear. You’ll still be here but I’ll be sad”.

Very good news Rita, thank you for confirming that we will in fact, still be here.

The singer went on to praise our wonderful homeland: “It’s such a great place. It’s got such great energy, and food and vibes.”

When asked if she could ever see herself living in Scotland she said: “Yes I do actually.

“I would love a farm – I would love to grow my own food.”

In Rita’s eyes, we clearly all live on farms north of the border.

Rita is a well known pop star who loves Scottish people

The singer also revealed her new single – currently number one on the iTunes chart – was  inspired by DJ Calvin.

She said: “Someone came into my life that really helped me for the better, made me see things differently.

“You know, I opened my eyes to reality almost”.

Well, who doesn’t enjoy a bit of Scotch beef?

“There are times when we are different sides of the world and you get really lonely and you think ‘oh no, I hope that person doesn’t think I am wasting my time or his time.

The song is my way of saying ‘y’know we can figure it out”.

Farm enthusiast

The performer will be back in her beloved Scotland next weekend for her performance at the Radio One Big Weekend.

The Kosovo-born star will take to the stage on Sunday, May 25th and was the first major act announced for the show just a few months ago.