People you see at The Drummond Varieties (We didn’t just Google this one)

Clive goes undercover to reveal to you the truth about one of Aberdeen’s better and more original shows, we hope.

Drummond varieties

https://www.facebook.com/TheDrummondVarieties

After the controversy of Wray Thomson’s overly generic comedy, I decided it was about time to check out what was described to me as being the most intelligent and interesting of the shows in Aberdeen, The Drummond Varieties.

Boasting such previous acts as magic act Fifth Dimension, who recently performed at the Magic Castle; and Scott Land, probably best known for his role as lead puppeteer for ‘Team America: World Police’, I was quite optimistic about what I was going to see.

Eoin Smith, The Drummond Varieties resident host and magician, kicked the night off to a start with some stories about his uncommon first name (I still don’t believe that it’s pronounced Lenny, but if he insists it is I can’t really argue). He followed these stories up with a slight of hand magic trick in which he some how managed to make one of his arms pass through the other. It was then time first act of the night, comedian Lee Brophy.

Photography by Hayley McMann

I’ve seen Lee a couple of times before, but not like this. Half way through his set he produced a penny whistle from his back pocket, which in itself was not surprising given he is Irish, however I did not expect what happened next.

As he began to play a jazz rendition of ‘My Heart Will Go On’, an audience member (hypnotised by the lilting irish jazz tones) launched herself on stage and began an interpretive dance with Lee. The two re-enacted the flying scene from the Titanic together, as the music played on in the background. It was a beautiful moment, beautiful but fleeting; as just as suddenly as it had started the music stopped and the spell was broken.

The audience member later informed me that she did not remember what had happened, but that she felt ‘on top of the world’. Overall Lee delivered a strong opening performance, now it was up to the other acts to follow suit.

Next were wacky improv group Wildly Unprepared; who stormed onto the stage, kicked over the drum set, lit the guitar on fire, snapped Lee’s tin whistle in half and made out with at least three audience members, before moving to the floor for more performance space! It was dramatic as hell!

They performed several high energy games, most of which involved Aladdin fluffing knights in space – before then I had no idea just how versatile that particular audience suggestion would turn out to be. Their set culminated in one of their group members running out of the bar screaming, this made sense given it was during the knife dodgeball scene. He came back stabbed in the chest having run through the streets of Aberdeen searching for a violent criminal, now that’s commitment to the act!

I would definitely see this act again if I weren’t scared of the inevitable brain haemmorrhage that level of energy would be sure to cause.

Photography by Hayley McMann

Then came the first break, and with it the food. The Drummond Varieties is unique, as it is the only show I know of in Aberdeen which provides a meal, for the princely sum of only £2 extra. The food certainly beats a Boots meal deal and come in at a whole £1.29 cheaper. The options for the night were; chicken curry, lasagne or some vegetarian option that I can’t remember as I phased out after hearing the word vegetable.

The show continued with host Lenny demonstrating some of his famous escapism, in which he used two audience members and the queen to help him make a pair of scissors vanish from a rope.

Photography by Hayley McMann

He then introduced Strange Skies, Shmu fm’s band of the week. This was probably my favourite act of the night, only 2 of the 3 man band were present, but each man rocked 1 and a half times the normal amount to make up for the deficit. They reconstructed their instruments and began to play, although the guitar was still on fire, which seemed to add to the ambience.

They played some pretty epic classic blues/rock styled songs, finishing on a brilliant cover of ‘Very Superstitious’. With solid guitar and drum riffs, I would really recommend seeing these guys if you get the chance. After their set they asked Wildly Unprepared back on stage to help them destroy their instruments once more.

Photography by Hayley McMann

The final act was Niel Skene, Scotland’s only blind comedian and, frankly, that’s all he seems to be. Given that he was the headline spot of what had so far been a brilliant show I would’ve expected a higher quality of act.

After the first 5 minutes of blind humour, the jokes became somewhat predictable and started to fall flat. Not that you shouldn’t write what you know, but for a 20 minute set you kind of hope for more than just the one joke. I would hope that’s he’s done better acts than this before, as some of his jokes suggest that he is capable of writing intelligent material; as he himself says, he is blind, not stupid.

Photography by Hayley McMann

The Drummond Varieties is probably my favourite show currently running in Aberdeen, it’s great fun and a bargain at only £5, or £7 with food. This show does exactly what it says on the tin- it takes place in Drummonds and there’s lots of variety. If you enjoy seeing different high quality acts each month then come along to the next one on the 19th of March, see you there.