Tram Plans In Motion For Aberdeen

Aberdeen City Council propose Tram system

Taking a leaf out of Edinburgh’s book, Aberdeen City Council are in the early stages of planning a new tram line in Aberdeen. The council are looking to put together plans for a system within the next few years, meaning that some of us we could be whizzing into town on the quaint little shuttles before graduation.

The city’s last tram was replaced in 1958 by the diesel bus. Whilst trams are generally much faster than buses, they are also expected to be cheaper than the current bus services.

A tram system could come as a relief to the constant city centre congestion, which is only set to get worse with a further 36,000 homes in the early stages of development on the outskirts of Aberdeen.

Though Labour is seriously considering the project, the opposition SNP are calling it a “Pie in the Sky”. They argue that the project is expensive and unnecessary and SNP Councillor Yuill even went as far as to say “this is just something that the Labour group have dreamt up and scribbled down on the back of a fag packet.”