This is how to work out your moon sign and what it means about you

There’s more to life than just star signs

Hide Images

New levels of understanding yourself and your Zodiac are about to be unlocked. Say hello to your moon sign, the second most important influence in your horoscope chart after your star sign.

Your moon sign represents your emotions and your inner mood. It will tell you your ultimate desires. It's basically key information about yourself that you didn't know you needed until now. If you're not fully aware of the ins and outs of your moon sign, it's time to get to know.

What is a moon sign?

Moon signs are different to star signs. Your star sign is based on which sign the sun was in when you were born. The earth takes around 30-31 days to change signs as it orbits around the Sun, so you share your sun sign with everyone born in that time. Hence why there are 12 star signs all about the length of the month.

Your star sign is all about your outer self, whereas moon signs reveal all about your inner self. Your star sign rules over your day-to-day mannerisms but your moon sign is all about your soul. It represents your emotions and your inner mood.

The two signs together represent your emotional mode of operation. You can calculate your moon sign at the bottom of this article.

Here's what all the different moon signs mean about you

Remember, your moon sign is not the same as your star sign and your moon sign represents a completely different part of you.

Aries

What this says about you: You are warm, dynamic, assertive and competitive. You feel happiest when you can speak about your feelings. You’re easily inspired and throw yourself into new ventures. You are dominant in relationships.

Famous people with this moon sign: Rihanna, Steve Jobs, Angeline Jolie, Selena Gomez, Bill Gates, Kendall Jenner, Daniel Radcliffe, Ed Sheeran.

via Instagram @badgalriri

Taurus

What this says about you: You're protective and care a lot about your home life. You are a sensitive and caring person, and this can sometimes be taken advantage of. You like to take time easing into things, and that includes relationships. You are often quite cool, calm and collected.

Famous people with this moon sign: Cameron Diaz, Prince Harry, Lindsay Lohan, Demi Lovato, Rafael Nadal, Prince Charles.

Gemini

What this says about you: You are flirty and youthful. You can become bored quickly and you like to be doing an activity all the time to keep your mind busy. A Gemini rising is all about communication – you're always the one with something to say in a conversation.

Famous people with this moon sign: Obama, Putin, Jennifer Lawrence, Khloe Kardashian, Kylie Minogue, Hugh Jackman, Rachel McAdams.

via Instagram @khloekardashian

Cancer

What this says about you: You are empathetic, sympathetic, and compassionate. You can read A LOT about people's emotions when you meet them. You act based on your feelings – even if something seems okay, if you have doubts you will trust your inner feelings more. You have the ability to listen and give advice to help people around you.

Famous people with this moon sign: Taylor Swift, Drake, Prince William, Robert Pattinson, Emilia Clarke, Halsey, Conor McGregor.

Leo

What this says about you: Similar to those with the Leo star sign, anyone with a Leo moon sign tends to be fiery, passionate and warm emotionally. You are dramatic and a good actor but this can mean you sometimes disguise your emotions through being seemingly extroverted.

Famous people with this moon sign: Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Lana Del Ray, Megan Fox, Paris Hilton, Niall Horan, Bruno Mars.

via Instagram @niallhoran

Virgo

What this says about you: You have a powerful inner voice and are a perfectionist. You are intellectual, emotionally reserved and have a strong sense of self. These combined mean you can sometimes over analyse situations emotionally and overthink things. Emotionally you may have a tendency to nitpick those around you.

Famous people with this moon sign: Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Zayn Malik, Zac Efron, J.K. Rowling, Blake Lively, Stephen Hawking, Gordon Ramsay.

Libra

What this says about you: You love relationships and value other people being around you. People naturally gravitate toward you. You have a tendency to intellectualise your feelings, you deal better with things as facts, not opinions. Because of this, you're never the type to rush into an argument.

Famous people with this moon sign: Leonardo DiCaprio, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Harry Styles, Jude Law, Bradley Cooper, Meghan Markle.

via Instagram @arianagrande

Scorpio

What this says about you: You are a very intense person, and can see right through people who are lying or keeping secrets. You're the detective of your friendship group, and understand emotions well. If you are annoyed, angry or upset you often hide your emotions and come across cool. In relationships you like to be in control.

Famous people with this moon sign: Beyonce, Lady Gaga, JLo, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Kylie Jenner, Will Smith, Mark Zuckerberg, Bob Marley.

Sagittarius

What this says about you: You wish for a lot in life – you want to travel, find happiness and grow your knowledge as much as possible. This has given you a strong sense of adventure and an ability to immerse yourself into cultures and situations outside your comfort zone. You are positive and optimistic and don't tend to be in a bad mood for long.

Famous people with this moon sign: Donald Trump, Einstein, Justin Timberlake, Oprah, Adele, Simon Cowell.

Capricorn

What this says about you: You prefer to bottle up your feelings and you can be quite a serious person. In relationships you go for someone ambitious, you want a true life partner who can offer you the world.

Famous people with this moon sign: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, David Beckham, Kourtney Kardashian, Reese Witherspoon, Jaden Smith.

Aquarius

What this says about you: You love new experiences and feeling like you're doing something different to other people. Some might say you're ahead of the trends. You prioritise friendships and opportunities to build.

Famous people with this moon sign: The actual Jesus Christ, Princess Diana, Britney Spears, Billie Eilish, Shawn Mendes, Gigi Hadid.

Pisces

What this says about you: You are gentle and sensitive. You understand other people's situations easily. You're very romantic and love feeling loved. You're very caring, and if a friend needs to send you a three-hour voice note, you would listen to every second of it.

Famous people with this moon sign: Michelle Obama, Martin Luther King, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Vanessa Hudgens, Marie Curie.

Now work out your moon sign here:

If you don't know it already, here is how to find out your moon sign.

To work it out you need to know your full date of birth, the place you were born and your time of birth. Text your mum to ask, she definitely remembers. Take all that info and pop it into a natal chart generator – like this one.