Sussex staff to take course in how to respond to victims of sexual harassment

The training will begin in January

The University of Sussex has introduced a new training course concerning how to respond to disclosures of sexual harassment or violence.

This follows the findings of the University’s report concerning the domestic violence case involving former senior lecturer Lee Salter and former student Allison Smith. The report found that the University failed to follow and practise its own policies and procedures, as well as in its communication with – and pastoral care towards – Ms Smith.

The training will cover how to appropriately respond if someone discloses information to them about having experienced abuse, and how the victim can access information and support as soon as possible.

Beginning in January, the course will be introduced alongside a mandatory training programme requiring the participation of certain staff members and has been designed as part of an EU-funded project, co-led by Dr Alison Phipps at Sussex.

The VC, Adam Tickell, said: “I am determined to ensure we are doing everything we can to create a safe and open culture at Sussex for all students and staff. Part of this includes addressing the issue of sexual harassment and violence on campus. The University has been running training courses for staff on responding to disclosures of sexual violence for several years and this new training is about building on that learning and further equipping our staff to be the best we can at dealing with this issue.”